Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday's Five. January 17, 2014

Rave Run
Last Sunday I was able to run outside after a long stretch of treadmill days. You may have heard that it was a little bit chilly in Minnesota last week - so cold that the Governor closed all the public schools in the state on Monday, January 6th! That hadn't happened since 1997, and let me tell you, it was the right call.  We moved to Minnesota in 2003 and I learned a new definition of cold.  It takes a lot for a Minnesotan to stay inside in the winter. Last Monday it was cold enough to stay inside.  Anyway, back to my run.  On Sunday of this week, it was 19 degrees when I headed out for my run. I was at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul for a swim meet with my daughter and I had 90 minutes between when we arrived for warm up and the meet start.  I headed out and found myself on a path along the Mississippi River.  It was beautiful; there was a light dusting of snow, but not enough to slow me down. It was early and quiet, and all I could think was how lucky I was to be able to run outside on that morning.  An hour later I found my way back to the pool, refreshed and happy. And why not? I was fresh off a run.

Fab Food
My original blog is called Busy Girl. Good Food. It's my collection of original recipes and tales of feeding two teenagers who also happen to be swimmers. I found my recipe posting to be a bit sporadic in the last year, mostly because I was trying to figure out how to evolve from just cooking to a broader scope of my world - and that's why Raspberry Running was born.  Still, I have some great stuff over on Busy Girl, and I'll be sharing some of those posts here.  This week, I was particularly happy to have created this simple recipe for Weeknight Pasta.  Even when life is crazy - which is most of the time - I still work hard to put healthy meals on the table.  In our house, we don't swim, bike & run to eat - we eat so we can fuel our performance. We're not perfect, but I like to think we do pretty well.

Great Gear
This week's gear is not a piece of equipment, but one of my "can't live without" apps.  If you are just getting started running or walking, or you're looking for a new app to log your workouts, give Map My Run a try.  This is definitely my go-to: it serves as a workout log and map, gives mile splits, integrates music, and even says nice words of encouragement along the way!

Words of Wisdom
Posted just today by Women's Running Magazine, this says it all!


Best Blog Post
And finally, for this week's best blog post, I cross over into my not-fulltime job world to a post about some people and small businesses that are making the world a better place: Odd Businesses that are Changing the World.

That's my Friday's Five for this week!  Looking forward to getting in some miles this weekend and spending some quality time as a swim mom cheering for my swimmers.  Loving life, one day, one mile at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment